As many of you know I tend to be a shorts year-round kind of runner. I typically find tights to be too constricting, along with the potential to cause me to overheat even when the temps are in the upper 30s. So when I was looking at Janji’s website for what gear to review, I initially did not focus on these tights. However, after thinking it over, I realized that most of my experience with tights was with brands that use inexpensive materials, which likely played a role in my discarding them. That, combined with the design of these tights, both functionally and visually, won me over to the idea of trying them out. As you will see in the review below, I am glad I did. Portland has already had a number of days where the temps have dropped to at or slightly below freezing in the early mornings, so I have had excellent opportunities to test these out.
I am 5’ 10” and weigh 162 lbs, with good sized calves and quads. I went with the medium size tights, and they fit well on me. I do have to tie the waist particularly when I am carrying my phone in one of the side pockets, and certainly, when I know there will be a lot of downhill. That said, the tights fit well around my calves and quads, so a small would likely be too small. The fabric is comfortable and stretches well as to not feel constrictive at all. Additionally, there is no zipper on the bottom of the legs which removes the possibility of chafing in that area.
These tights have three pockets. One long pocket on each thigh, and one pocket in the back that has two zippers. This allows the rear pocket to be used as a passthrough to hold a jacket or other layer. The rear pocket is also large enough to fit my iPhone Xr. The thigh pockets are made of slightly stretchy material, and can easily fit an iPhone Xr, some gels, gloves, or other smallish items. The thigh pockets are open at the top, but because of the design, I would find it unlikely that anything you put in them would fall out. There is a drawstring at the waist to keep the tights from falling down as you run.
These tights have done a good job of keeping me warm without feeling constrictive or causing overheating, as long as I wear them in temperatures approximately 36 degrees or cooler.
The only feature I would like to see improved would be the drawstring. Currently, it is made out of an elastic material which makes pulling and keeping it tight while you tie it not as easy as it could be with a non-stretchy drawstring. Otherwise, these are a solid pair of running tights.
Ultimately, the features that I like about the M’s Flyby Tights outweigh the one feature I would change. From the rear zipper pocket that doubles as a passthrough pocket, to the thigh pockets, to the comfort, to the touches of color that one rarely sees, particularly in men’s tights. All of these, combined with Janji’s mission, make recommending these tights an easy thing to do.
As a reminder, their current clean water partner for the Mexico Collection, of which these tights are part of, is Isla Urbana. Additionally, Janji has a membership program called Janji Collective. For a $50 fee you receive a singlet and a lifetime discount of 15%, while the entire membership fee goes directly to the clean water initiatives.
You can purchase the M’s Flyby Tight in Midnight on their website by clicking here. Just remember that all their gear is a limited run, so don’t wait too long!
- Made from our extra smooth, cool-to-the-touch + comfortable ReFlex Stretch Knit fabric
- Ideal stretch-to-structure ratio for a second skin feeling
- Fabric is breathable, moisture-wicking + wind-blocking to keep you comfortable
- Two roomy, side stash pockets for easy-access storage
- Back double-sided-entry zip pocket can fit most phones + dual as a pass-through for a shirt or light shell
- Double-lined fabric in the front panel (from hip through thigh) for added protection + warmth
- Minimal, low-rise waistband with internal elastic drawcord for a secure, yet comfortable fit
- Articulated calf + ankle shaping with clean finished hem for easy cuffability
- Signature “watermark” reflectivity placed vertically on the back calf for added visibility in low light, even when cuffed
- ReFlex Stretch Knit: 77% Recycled Polyester, 23% lycra
- Weight: 215g / 7.6oz (M’s size M)