UPDATE: The Prolog 70 is no longer available from Salomon. It has been replaced by the Outlife Duffle 70 with tougher materials and zippers.
My previous running gear bag broke a zipper. I had it fixed and it broke again shortly after. Instead of repeatedly getting the zipper fixed, I decided to get a new gear bag. I looked at several brands and settled on the Salomon Prolog 70 Backpack. One of my prerequisites is that the bag had to have a separate compartment for my stinky shoes. I also like backpack and handheld options. The Prolog backpack has both.
When the pack arrived, I was surprised at how big the 70-liter capacity is. This is much bigger than my previous bag. I’m able to put all of my running gear and much more. I’ve even started using it as my travel bag. If this is not what you are looking for, go down to the 40 or 25-liter sizes.
Inside the bag are two pockets located at the sidewalls. I put nutrition in one pocket and every other little item in the other pocket. One pocket has space between the sidewall which has been a nice place to put buffs, especially during the pandemic.
In the main compartment, I put running clothes, recovery clothes, towels, jackets, sweatshirts, and anything else I need that day. The “after sport” waterproof compartment on the top side of the backpack has plenty of room for shoes. I have also started putting my stinky clothes in this pocket after a run. Both compartments have double zippers that open the whole bag for easy access.
The opposite side of the backpack is a heavy-duty waterproof coated fabric, so I’m not afraid to set it down next to the car no matter what the environment is. Two padded adjustable shoulder straps and the padding on the back make it comfortable to carry. Two more straps compress the bag to make easier storage during a trip. The handling strap is placed at the top of the bag and the top storage compartment.
My one recommendation to Salomon is to have at least one outside pocket for easy access. Two would be even better. I’m guessing they put the pockets on the inside to keep them waterproof.
Website Selling Points
- Padded back
- A padded back ensures comfort while carrying the backpack.
- 1 wet compartment
- Made with tarpaulin fabrics, it’s a great place to store your footwear or sweaty clothes, separated from your valuable/clean gear.
- Waterproof construction
- Designed specifically without seams close to the ground and using heavy-coated fabrics, this bottom construction protects the gear inside.
- Compression straps tighten quickly and easily, to keep your load stable and contained.
- Padded shoulder straps ensure great comfort when carrying your bag.
- This wide front opening makes it very easy to store, organize and find everything in your pack. The double slider opens from either the top or the bottom for maximum access.
Dimensions: (L x W x D in cm)70 x 30 x 27
- Body insert: 100% Polyamide
- Lining: 100% Polyamide
- Insert: 100% Polyethylene
- Foam: 100% Polyethylene
- Body: 100% Polyester